Terryland Castle was in the Parish of Castlegar, County Galway for a time, and in just one of a list of Castlegar Castles.
- Coordinates: 53.283169 , -9.059359
- Google Street View (open in new window).
- Elevation: 23 feet
- Townland - Terryland
- Civil Parish - Saint Nicholas
- Youtube Video from 2021
- A different generation of Richard de Burgh (1572 to Nov. 1635) the fourth Earl of Clanrichard - lived here.
- A decision to relocate to the Castle in Castlegar Village, was prompted by the removal of his Son's head.
- The O Flaherty's from across the Corrib River near Oughterard, over-reacted to a Tax request.
- See more of the gruesome detail.
- Destroyed by fire in 1961.
- Restored to some degree
- This Castle is close to the Quincentennial Brigde ( 30 metres /97 feet North at closest point) and the Terryland or Sandy River.
- 62 metres (203 feet) East of the River Corrib.
- As the crow flies; 1.18 kilometres (0.73 miles) North West of Eyre Square.
- Access for directions is by the Dyke Road at 53.283503 , -9.057794 walking from this point (see map).
- See Dynamic map in a new window.
- This structure has been renovated and preserved to some degree.
- Nearby is the Old Terryland Water Works at 53.283552 and -9.057439.
- Terryland House - 53.282243, -9.059373
^ The National Library of Irleand, describes the image above as Menlo Caslte, yet we clearly recognise it, as Terryland Castle? Sometime after 1880.
May 1227 - King Henry the third, granted Connacht to the Second Earl of Ulster, Richard de Burgh after, it is thought, that Hugh O Connor, as the former King of Connacht, relinquished it.