SPS was one of the "high - tech." mass production Companies in Galway.
S.P.S. was an anagram for Standard Pressed Steel.
Officially - SPS International Limited.
Location; on the former Crown Control site, now empty, and somewhat deeper.
- Coordinates ; 53.287733 , -9.022401
- Open a Dynamic Map of this location (new window).
- Closed in 1978 with 236 redundancies.
- This Company is still in existence in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania.
- And still makes Fasteners. In Mervue, it made them as well but the particular type of Fastner, was the humble Nut.
- The incoming Material, was coiled and could be though of, as heavy wire. These could be seen stacked outside of the Buliding at the time.
- Year? Late 1960's and '70's. Not disimilar in time scale to Potez, to the South of this position.
- There was a Concrete Loading Bay to the North, for loading and unloading the raw and finished products.
- This Loading Bay remained for many years after Crown "controlled" the premises.
- At the time, there was nothing between this Factory and Jackson's Pub, which came a little later.
- One of the Foremen at S.P.S. , went on to open his own Place, also in the Mass Production of small parts, "Precision Steel", later sold to Penn Engineering still at the same location across the road.
- SPS closed in 1977. Number of Redundancies - 236 - (oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1978051000018?opendocument)
Google Image taken in 2003