Doughiska, Galway

  • Doughiska is the name of a Townland and Village in County Galway.
  • About 2 or three miles from Eyre Square.
  • Elevation - 60 metres is the highest to the North, called Brierhill. 21 metres near the Pitch.
  • Famous in the past for its Marble (maybe Limestone?)
  • Immediate Lessor 1858 - Henry Hodgson, tenant of Lord Clanmorris.
  • See Bothar na Caillighe.
  • Hortagro (Tom Collins) had a Horticultural Business here. See ad. in the Galway Advertiser in 1979.
  • The Castlegar G.A.A. Club, is the last place in the south, and that big thick stone wall is the boundary between it and Roscam.
  • Ballynew seems to be used liberally to describe Doughiska, and some only knew it as Ballynew?
  • Other places here - the Coolagh Roundabout, a bit of Donnellan's cross, the Lynch Junction (former Roundabout, The Clayton Hotel, the Briarhill Shopping Centre, K.F.C.,  the Housing Estates of course, the N.C.T. Centre, Jack Jordan's, the Eastwood Pub, the Galway Clinic  Merlin Lane, and various ever-changing Businesses.
  • Merlin Park is to the west.
  • "On 20 October 1987 the National Building Agency on behalf of Galway Corporation "......."Approval in respect of the sites at Tuam Road, Doughiska, and Circular Road has issued subject to a number of technical revisions."  - Halting Site Plans.
  • "East of the city is an area called Doughiska which in 2000 had a population of approximately 300 people but which now has a population of 8,000 people, consisting of 36 nationalities, 20 new estates and no primary school."  2007
  • "An Bord Pleanála granted permission for the first phase of the road from Doughiska to Bushy Park on the N59 Moycullen road. The decision was appealed to the High Court by the objectors to the road." C.P.O. Bill, 2010, Deputy Pádraic McCormack
  • Major Turner had a large House at 53.278174,   -8.978442 but it is largely reclaimed by nature. Map.
    • A portion of the Chimney is all that is visible above the Trees and Bushes.
    • This was the  largest House in that area, its footprint is much the same, but is almost invisible now. 
  • A footprint of an Old Quarry is at  53.276735,  -8.979615 . Map
  • Griffith's Valuation (1848 - 1864) returns the following - Henry Hodgson (Land Lord), Michael Regan, Margaret Browne, Edward Kelly, Owen Sweeny, Patrick Joyce, Luke Hackett, John Nyland

    ^ around 1900.

Doughiska Townland