- Anglingham is a Townland in the Parish of Castlegar, Galway.
- South East corner of Lough Corrib.
- Killoughter to the East and Menlo to the West.
- Gort na Callow in Irish. Gort a calla
- This Townland was once owned by Thomas Bateman and is North West of Killoughter.
- Borders the Corrib Lake.
- Covered in some depth in Padraic Small's Book - Radharc na Neasgai.
- Famous for its Marble (more correctly; a particular Limestone, which polished well) Quarries, a Quay and an old burial grounds on the Lake side. Also regular Limestone Quarrying.
- Elevation - anywhere from 5 metres to 22 metres.
- Coordinates - roughly 53.318160 -9.057333
^ Blocks [of marble] weighing upwards of 4 tons, 18 or 20 ft. in length by 8 or 10 ft. in width, are frequently raised, particu-larly at Anglingham. Mr. Stanley Ireland, some years since, shipped several cargoes to London, Liverpool, Bristol, Cork, Dublin, &c. He also established a marble-yard in the town, and employed several, who wrought a variety of elegant monuments, plain and sculptured chimney-pieces, sideboards, &c. ; but at present (1620) this trade is rather declining) -
Mr. George H. Kinahan 1 gives the following particu-lars :—A little north-east of Galway, at Anglingham [at the south-east corner of Lough Corribi, are the world-famed black marbles. The bed locally called the • London Bed,' which, according to Mr. Sibthorpe, is the best black marble known, unfortunately has now a great clearing over it, and has dipped considerably below the level of Lough Corrib ; so that it is nearly impossible to keep the water out without employing steam machineq]. In the same neighbourhood is an excellent grey stone, but only as yet worked for tanks and other local purposes. At the Merlin Park quarries [between Galway and Oranmore] is a bed of black stone, considered by Mr. Sibthorpe to be nearly equal to the Anglingham London Bed.'
The Jesuit College and Church, the Queen's College, the Model School, and the parapet of the great tower of St. Nicholas's Church, Galway, are built of the Anglingham ' grey.' In the western suburbs are quarries of red por-phyritic granite, beautifully polished specimens of which may be seen in the more recently erected churches.
The Irish ecclesiastical record 1865
"Black Limestone, that will take a fine Polish, and form good Marble, occurs at Menlough and Anglingham" -
Lough Corrib, Its Shores and Islands